As a number of you might know I’m not a large fan of gaming on original systems but also like to dabble in the dark art of emulation. Yes, I know many purists will soon be hitting the back button at disgust — however I am of the view that emulation has a location in each retro player’s lifetime. Emulation enables you to experience games in close pixel-perfection which you will never be able to manage or find and from a historical perspective it is a great way to record and catalogue titles that would otherwise vanish.
My pick of emulation tool is a self-modded original (some call it’classic’ today ) Microsoft XBox. I’ve been asked on numerous occasions on the way to mod an XBox and that which exactly a modded XBox is, therefore within this set of posts I will show you the abilities of my two components and show you how to begin getting your own.Join Us xbox 360 roms website
I opted to use this specific hardware after stumbling across websites run by fans and finding exactly how large the XBox mod scene is and what a competent machine they’re for emulation purposes. Virtually every emulator ever created was ported to XBox and in the majority of instances has been enhanced still further by fans with the inclusion of video sets and art. Many of you may have heard of or use XBMC on additional hardware (Apple TV etc.), well it all started on the humble XBox hence it’s title (XBox Media Center). Of course it’s possible to use an XBox as a fantastic networked Media Centre and it does a lot more things apart from but as this is RGC I’ll concentrate on the subject of retro console and computer emulation.
A modded Xbox is my own pick within PC/Mac emulation for the following 6 reasons:
1. The XBox is relatively easy to unleash your self (soft-modding a Typical 8gb XBox takes minutes as Soon as You understand how and have the tools/software)
2. The device fits under your telly, including a PC
3. A timeless XBox is affordable, I found them being marketed with a control for #14.99 recently at my local GameStation. EBay is another fantastic supply of cheap XBoxes.
5. Contrary to a Xbox 360, the first Xbox is extremely dependable — nearly bombproof.
6. The programmer scene is still going strong and new variants of favorite emulators are released weekly
A modded XBox also has the following advantages:
1. Region free games and DVD
2. Capability to run in HD (720p and even 1080p)
3. You can upgrade your HDD into something bigger
4. You can save your DVD films and matches to your HDD and play from there (faster loading times)
5. Capability to work with a mouse and keyboard (great for those point and click adventure games )
6. Massive development scene leading to hundreds of flashed emulators and utilities
7. Fully networkable over LAN with some other devices you have
8. Great alternative to your PC at a House arcade cabinet setup
9. Once the HDD is upgraded they make decent Network Media Centres (XBMC)